Yesterday we build the “Hello! World” application. Today, we will have a look at the files that got created when we created the project.
Following is the list of files that are visible in Solution Explorer Visual Studio
- AppManifest.xml – This is a file used by Silverlight , primary purpose for Silverlight is to store Entry Point assembly name, Entry Point type name and assemblies that are there in “.xap” file(I will explain what is “.xap” file in the next post). For more details (http://www.codeproject.com/KB/silverlight/QuestionsOnSilverlight.aspx#_Toc263879427)
- AssemblyInfo.cs – This is standard file of any .Net project. It contains Assembly related info like version, title, company etc..
- WMAppManifest.xml – This is also called Application Manifest File for Windows Phone. This is an important file for Windows Phone Development, and description of this file in full, will need a post. But, basically it contains the Author Name, Application Title, phone capabilities(like location,dialer etc.) used by the application, various images, tasks etc. for more details (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff769509%28v=vs.92%29.aspx)
- App.xaml – This is the XAML markup file that is starting point of the application.If you have a look at the project properties( You can do that by right clicking on the project in solution explorer and then choosing properties). you will see that it is listed as a start up object.This file contains the markup that lists Application Lifetime Objects( objects that are available through out the life time of the application) and its events bindings
- App.xaml.cs -This is kind of code behind file for “App.xaml”. It contains a partial class called “App” that is specified in App.xaml’s markup as well.This class inherits from “System.Windows.Application”, Base class for a Silverlight application, and it also has the code for event handler specified in the “App.xaml”.
- ApplicationIcon.png – This is the image file that is used as icon when application is shown in windows phone in list of installed applications. This is also specified in “WMAppManifest.xml” .
- Background.png – This file is used when user pins one application to the start. Will get into details of, what do I mean by “when user pins application to the start” later.This file is also specified in “WMAppManifest.xml”.
- MainPage.xaml – This file contains XAML(eXtensilble Application Markup Language) for the first page shown to the user, the form that contains “Hello! World in our care”. (windows developer consider this to be the first form of the application),(web developers consider this to be the default form).This file is also specified in “WMAppManifest.xml”.
- MainPage.xaml.cs – This file is the code behind file of “MainPage.xaml”, and as you can see it is partial class with just one constructor and call to a method “InitializeComponent”.
- SplashScreenImage.jpg – This is image that would be shown to the user when your application would be loaded by Windows Phone 7. Developer can’t change the name of the file. To use this feature file name has to same “SplashScreenImage.jpg” and Build Action that is specified in the file properties must be “Content”
In next post I will explain the Markup of “App.xaml” and**“MainPage.xaml”**, and basic working of the application.